At Drama Kids International, we know how important it is for children to develop healthy habits! We also know that as parents, one of our most important roles is to help our children develop those healthy habits.
From the physical aspects of eating healthy and staying active to developing healthy emotional habits, there are many things that children are learning from us day in and day out. Wondering how you can better encourage your child to pick up healthy habits? Have no fear, we’ve compiled a list of ideas for you!
- Have your child help in the kitchen.A kitchen is a place where you can not only sneak in quality family time but also teach your kids useful skills and healthy habits. By having them help in the kitchen, you can expose them to the fun that comes from preparing their own healthy meals. You are also helping to boost their confidence, which makes this idea a double bonus!
- Limit the junk food coming into your house.Who is doing the grocery shopping in the home? That’s right, you are! One sure way to help your children miss out on the junk food addiction and choose healthier options is to keep the junk out of the house!
- Find a healthy balance for screen time.Too much time spent watching TV, playing video games or being on the computer helps lead to a sedentary lifestyle, which brings with it an increased risk for obesity and cardiovascular disease. Establish limits on how much “screen time” your child is allowed to have each day, specify what kinds of screen time they are allowed to enjoy (games, TV shows, mobile device apps, etc.), and try to avoid any screen time shortly before bedtime.
- Remember, you’re their role model.Those little eyes are always watching you, even when it might seem like they are not! To help encourage your child to embrace healthy habits, you’ll need to be practicing what you’re preaching!
- Offer them creative outlets to express themselves.This speaks more to emotionally healthy habits, but kids need to know how to express themselves! Drama Kids can help provide such an outlet through our programmingthat is tailored to help children develop speaking, acting and social skills!
Children develop the majority of their healthy habits at home but having help from curricular and extra-curricular activities is always an added bonus. We’d love for you to discover the “dramatic” difference Drama Kids International can make in your child! Contact the DKI location nearest you to get started!